Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Plan

In order for this to work, I have to tackle it like a project I'm working on, which means some research, lots of questions, and a plan or timeline. I don't think there can be a timeline because I don't know how my body will cooperate with me. But I can make a plan and have some rules that I will stick to, and depending on those work for me, they can be added/deleted/modified. But I'm going to write everything down and keep track of what's going on. Guess that's the first rule!
  1. I'm going to write everything down and keep track of what's going on. (Sorry!) That means food intake, exercise, how I'm feeling, external forces -- good and bad -- that help or hinder, etc. This will be my journal.
  2. I commit to exercise five days of a week. It might be working out at the Y. It might be walking the dogs. It might be yoga/Pilates. Maybe it'll be Just Dance 2 on the Wii. (Don't laugh! Some of those Wii games can be a workout!) Starting out with a minimum of thirty minutes every day, more if I can.
  3. I'm going to eat well, and by well I mean healthy. I'd like to strive for an 85% vegetarian diet; I'm not eating steaks every day, but I reserve the right to have one if I so choose. I also won't be eating a lot of heavy cream soups when I say I'm having soup, 100 calorie cookie packs (I'd rather have one awesome oatmeal raisin cookie), sugar free anything just so I can have more, you get the idea. My weaknesses are bread, and if I get it, white sugar. One sweet thing leads to another for me, although I can have a piece of hard candy and be happy with one. Usually. If I have more, you'll know...
  4. I'm not giving up caffeine, but I will have less than I consume now. I'm also not giving up alcohol, but I can limit it to one drink a week, if I so choose. Can't save them up for three weeks in a row and then have three drinks in one night. I know I have a party coming up where there will be abundant alcohol, and I know I will probably party well that night. I can plan for that. This is about living life healthy, not in a cave somewhere. We're all faced with these choices!
  5. I have a water bottle that holds 750ml. I will drink two bottles a day. More if I can.
  6. I will try to post every day. If I take a day off, it will be Saturdays/Sundays. I will post pictures that are me and that have not been Photoshopped. I will also step on a scale, but it won't be everyday and no more than once a week, don't be surprised if it goes a couple of weeks. The number can be too important for some folks, like the size on a pair of pants, and some folks are defined by it. I am not, but know that for some, the only way to measure progress is with the number. If I have time, I will also get some starting measurements.
  7. I am also going to be taking some supplements, for my general well being. A calcium supplement and some digestive enzymes for sure, I may have one or two more. Still doing some research there.
That's what I'm starting with. I don't think they're awful rules or anything I can't live with. If it's too hard, it's much easier to give up. If you have any other suggestions or ideas, you can always let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment